God is great, camping is good, my friends are crazy...





And I sincerely thank Him for all of the above.

On Thursday, I went to the hospital for my bone marrow biopsy. I was a little scared at the prospect of it. I had been assured that it would be less painful than a kidney stone, which was pretty meager comfort. Kidney stones hurt. After the fact, I've had people tell me it was the most horrendous thing they've ever had done - yikes! Glad they told me that after.

I was NPO (nothing by mouth) after midnight the night before the procedure.  By the time we got to the hospital, I was trying to barter with the nurses for coffee.  Nothing doing.  I offered blood, which they took anyway and still didn't give me coffee.   I was thinking of telling them I had cancer, but I figured it wouldn't do any good.  They probably already knew.

My doctor was very cute, which I understand does not effect the procedure in any way, but it sure is nice to have a handsome man to look at while you're being told they are going to drill a hole in your bones.  In addition to my husband, of course.  Who is very handsome.  In case you were wondering.

Anyhow, they gave me some very, very nice medicine which promptly knocked me out cold.  I'm told it doesn't have that effect on everyone, but I sure am glad it did on me.  I remember nothing whatsoever about the procedure itself.  David says I looked rumpled and sweaty when I came back to the recovery room, which suggests I may have had a rougher time than I remember, or that I completely lost my inhibitions and was chasing the cute doctor all around the OR - take your best guess.

Anyhow, I went home around lunchtime and proceeded to sleep the rest of the day away.

On Friday, my girlfriends and I had some Mexican food for lunch, packed our bags, hopped into the car and took off to go girl camping.  Girl camping, in case you were wondering, consists of:





  • building a great big fire with some help from the nice man at the neighboring campsite
  • roasting marshmallows over said fire
  • playing lots of cards
  • reading and staring up at the trees a lot because it's so beautiful
  • wearing bras on our heads (doesn't everyone do that when they go camping?)
  • going back into town midway through the weekend for a PET scan (they don't do that either? Are you sure?)
Yes, on Saturday afternoon, the two best girlfriends anyone could ask for loaded me up and drove me 30 minutes back towards town so that David and Katherine could pick me up and take me back to the hospital.  Then, they waited for me to be done and hauled my butt back to the campsite.  They could have just said "Hey, why don't you just come camping with us another time, so we don't waste four HOURS of our weekend hanging around waiting for you."  They could have, but they didn't.  They ROCK.  More about the PET scan later.  I have to finish putting the groceries away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment