Cancer goes on holiday!

Last year, I didn't do much baking because I had just started Weight Watchers (for the third time) and did NOT want temptation in the house.  I found that I sorely missed the baking - not just the eating.  This year, I decided I would make some goodies to share with friends.  I'm finding that chemo makes sugary treats less of a temptation, so it's all good.

On Monday, I made up a batch of White Chocolate Peppermint Oreo cookie bark to take to the nurses at the Chemo Palace. So easy and so good.

Start with some peppermint candy.  Doesn't really matter what kind.  I used ribbon candy, but you could use candy canes or whatever you happen to have on hand.  Put them in a Ziploc bag, take something heavy (like the can of delicious Virginia peanuts your husband's boss sent home) and smash them up good.



This, by the way, is way too much.  I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Next, take 14 Oreo cookies (or thereabouts), put them into another Ziploc bag and break them up.  Don't mash the heck out of them like I did... it makes the bark kind of grey looking.  It still tastes good, but doesn't look all that great.  Just break them up into small pieces.


See what I mean about having way too much peppermint candy?  I have enough left over for at least two more batches.

Now, take a package of vanilla candy melt (I think it's called Candy Quick).  It comes right in it's own microwaveable tray - I found it at Bi-lo, but at this time of year, I'd imagine they have it everywhere.  Melt according to the package directions, and pour over your broken Oreo cookies. Dump a big handful of peppermint candy in too, and stir to combine.



Pour out onto a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and allow to set until firm.  Cut into squares and share!



See what I mean about the over-smashing of the Oreos making the bark a little dark looking?  Don't do that.  Now, grab a cellophane bag and some ribbon, add a cute, hand-stamped tag and you've got a great little gift to share!



The nurses loved it, and asked for the recipe yesterday, and pretty soon all of us ladies there at the Chemo Palace were sharing recipes and baking tips and having a grand ole time while the chemo dripped on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment